This started as my Hack Days project. The SDK had came out a few months earlier, but the watch wasn’t even out yet. I decided I wanted to take a stab at figuring out what would be useful to see on the Apple Watch.
My idea was simple, I wanted to be able to view how my store was doing at a glance and be notified of new sales. This way, both merchants with a lot of orders and merchants that are just starting out could get value out of the app and the interactions with the app wouldn’t be longer than a few seconds.
I pulled out my sketchbook and started sketching a few ideas for ways to display your store’s data in a way that is visually interesting and makes the most of the small display of the watch.
Then I put my headphones on and immediately started working on the actual UI in Sketch1. A thing I kept asking myself when I was designing was “is this useful?”, “is this interesting?” It’s also easy to make the text too small. Because I had never seen one in person, mirroring the screen to my iPhone was really helpful in getting the sizing right.
I kept asking myself questions when designing the app. Is this interesting? Is this useful?
Next, I decided to prototype some of this stuff. I wasn’t sure how long it would take me to wrap my head around WatchKit, so I figured that if I couldn’t have a live demo working, I could at least show a prototype. I compared the pros and cons of Framer, Origami and Form but quickly decided to go with Origami. It required the least time to get set up, had a way to display the app on an iPhone and interact with it in realtime and a great way to present. One thing I noticed is that it’s pretty good at prototyping single interactions or transitions, but more complex things like having different states required a huge amount of effort. All in all, in a day I went from an idea to a mostly working prototype of the functionality I wanted. Not bad.
Next morning, I fired up Xcode and got to work on a working version, well… It wasn’t pulling real data, but but at least it wast real code running on the Watch/Phone. Due to the inherent simplicity of WatchKit, getting the UI working in Interface Builder was relatively easy. I was making good progress, but time was running out.
I presented my project, and luckily enough a few people were interested in it too! So over the next few weeks, I handed over my project files and assets and they rewrote my terribly rushed code, improved a ton over the initial functionality of the app, hooked it up to real data from the app (pretty important part) and put a huge amount of effort trying to reduce the load time of the app.
This was a super fun quick project to work on and gave me a nice change from what I usually work on. As you might have guessed, one of the first things I did when I got my Apple Watch was load up the app.
You have to get things done really quickly during Hack Days if you want to have something to show at the end of the second day. ↩